The 2018 application period is now open. Application deadline is Sunday, December, 31 2017.
Information & Instructions
- Click on the Register/Log In tab to create your account. Please be sure to remember your username and password as you will be permitted to save your progress and return to your application.
Qualified applicants must meet the below criteria:
If chosen as a finalist, applicant must also be enrolled at the time of the scholarship event in April 2018.
- Be enrolled in a college or university program which has received accreditation from the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE)
- Enrolled at the time of the scholarship deadline
- Cannot be a former recipient of the SCI Mortuary Science scholarship
- Write a 200-250 word personal statement describing (pick one of the following)
- What three key words would your peers use to describe you and why?
- We all have goals. Explain what they are and how you are achieving them.
- Who has been one of your role models? Why is their influence important to you?
Video - Videotape responses to the three ‘Required’ questions below. Your entire video, answering all 3 questions should be 3 – 5 minutes in length. Once you have successfully completed your video, upload it to www.youtube.com. Uploading instructions can be found here, https://bit.ly/f4p6Fm .
Required Question #1: Share with us what your thoughts are regarding your ability to help others. What do you plan to do that will set you apart from others in the profession?
Required Question #2: What life experiences have you encountered that will prepare you for your future in funeral service?
Required Question #3: What is the one personal characteristic that you find most important for a Funeral Service professional to possess and why?
Tips for filming your video:
- Before uploading your video,review for adequate lighting,volume,absence of background noises and overall quality.
- Get started on your video well in advance of the application deadline.
- Introduce yourself and identify the mortuary science school you are enrolled in and are currently attending.
- Partner with a professor, family member or friend to produce your video message.
- While filming, use a tripod for stability or position your camera on a hard surface.
- When answering a question, restate the question in your answer so those viewing are clear about your topic.
- While practicing your answers, practice it out loud, noticing your body posture, facial expressions and tone of voice.
- Be sure your makeup, wardrobe, hair, and setting are consistent with your message.
- Do not discuss, with other students who may be applying to the scholarship, the content of your video or application responses.
- Before uploading your video review for adequate lighting, volume, absence of background noises and overall quality.
- When uploading your video to YouTube be sure to make it UNLISTED, so only those you share the link with can view. Instructions on making your video Unlisted can be found here, https://bit.ly/brnPvB
TRANSCRIPT - Secure a copy and upload your most recent official transcript with your cumulative grade point average. If you are a newly enrolled student and have not received a official transcript with your grades, please attach the last official transcript from your previous school. It is also recommended that you request a copy of your official transcript at least 3 weeks prior to the application deadline.
Once your official transcript is available, email it to Campus.Relations@sci-us.com by December 31, 2017 to have it added to your application.
REVIEW - Before clicking SUBMIT, ensure you have successfully completed your application and uploaded your personal statement, transcript, resume (if applicable), and the URL to your uploaded video.
- Top Finalists will be invited to meet and interview with the Company’s Selection Committee in Houston, TX, for final interviews before winning selections are made (all travel and meal expenses paid).
- Scholarship award monies will be applied directly to the student’s tuition balance or outstanding loan balances.
- Scholarship recipients will also be considered for apprenticeships and/or full-time career opportunities within SCI as they become available across the United States. (Relocation may be required).
- Recognition in leading funeral service publications.
If you have any questions or experience technical difficulties completing the application, please contact Jennifer Lane via email, Jennifer.Lane@sci-us.com or
Campus.Relations@sci-us.com (Important Note: To avoid emails going into your Spam or Junk folders proactively add this email address to your Safe Sender list: Campus.Relations@sci-us.com)