SCI is certified as a Great Place to Work® by the Great Place to Work Institute. In a recent survey, our associates said that their work has special meaning and is not “just a job”. We currently have a full time opening for a Funeral Director/Embalmer at Nelsen Funeral Home & Crematory in Williamsburg, VA. This is the opportunity to be part of the Dignity Memorial® provider network and grow your career in the funeral, cremation and cemetery services business. For us, there is no greater responsibility than celebrating each life like no other and making a difference in the lives of people we serve.
Provides customer service in all areas of funeral arrangements, cremation ceremonies and internment to assist families achieve peace following the loss of a loved one. Provides exemplary personalized and professional service. Implements choices made by the families or legal representative regarding the funeral, final disposition of the body and memorialization of the individual. Interacts with the family to fulfill death care needs. Ensures customer needs are addressed.
- Arranges and conducts funeral and memorial ceremonies in a professional, organized and caring manner consistent with company policies and procedures
- Negotiates and enters into funeral contracts
- Handles contracts, legal documents, and collection of payment in accordance with company policies.
- Ensures client families are informed of special recognition/services available for veterans and ensures the delivery of selected recognition/services.
- Arranges for the interment or cremation of human remains
- Adheres to all company and regulatory requirements
- Retains heritage and grows market share through active involvement with community, religious and other organizations
- Performs on-call responsibilities including:
- Taking first calls
- Talking with families
- Answering questions
- Providing initial details
- Conducting transfers
- Confirms authorization to proceed with the service arrangements
- Supervises and cares for the deceased in a respectful manner while performing a variety of tasks which include:
- Embalming, including verifying identification of the deceased and obtaining authorization for embalming
- Dressing, styling hair and/or applying cosmetics.
- Preparing cremated remains, including container selection, paperwork and identification procedures
- Any other preparation required for human remains
- Supervises funeral services by:
- Supervising the parking of cars
- Driving funeral vehicles
- Assisting at chapel and church services
- Assisting at the cemetery
- Delivering flowers, caskets, urn, photos and other personal keepsakes or mementos of client families
- Setting up chairs and the removing, properly caring for and storing of these items
- Participating at special functions
- Other duties, as required
- Ensures adherence to all applicable professional, municipal, provincial/state and federal licensing authority, regulations and rules
- Provides aftercare in absence of Family Service Counselor. Aftercare includes delivery of:
- Information on insurance, health benefits and pension
- Pre-arrangements for next of kin
- Ensures potential pre-need referrals are shared with Family Service Counselors
- Completes and accurately prepares of all documents related to services, cremations, maintenance, and any other type of data entry; prepares reports as necessary
- May assist with general office duties
- May assist with the maintenance of vehicles, the facility and property
- Receives caskets and other funeral home supplies as well as places into inventory
- Ensures refreshments are available (where allowed by law)
- Performs other duties as assigned
Click “Apply for this Scholarship” to create your account. Please be sure to remember your user-name and password as you will be permitted to save your progress and return to your application.
Qualified applicants must meet the below criteria:
- Be enrolled in a college or university program which has received accreditation from the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE)
- Enrolled at the time of the scholarship deadline
- Cannot be a former recipient of the SCI Mortuary Science scholarship
If chosen as a finalist, applicant must also be enrolled at the time of the scholarship event in April 2020.