Oversees the entire Personal Care Center operation and team members. The Supervisor is responsible for planning and directing the activities of the Personal Care Center associates and resources to optimize client family satisfaction, resource utilization and cost containment within given limits.
50% Supervising Personal Care Center
- Ensures all policies and procedures are closely followed to ensure proper compliance in every area of the Personal Care Center’s operations including embalming, transporting, removals, dispatching and other activities; maintain 100% compliance in all areas.
- Assists PCC staff and/or completes any preparation in its entirety.
- Monitor the operation and proper function of the crematory equipment and machinery by regular inspection and advise the Crematory Manager when repair or replacement is necessary.
- Directs and oversees daily schedules and prioritization of work, achieving 100% met commitments to funeral homes, cemeteries, crematories and other external customers.
- Proactively communicates and acts as a liaison between the Manager, staff and other location staff regarding issues, concerns and opportunities to improve process and efficiencies.
- Drives performance improvement in JD powers results for appearance of the deceased. Meets and exceeds client expectations.
- Recognizes and celebrates individual achievements and team successes.
- Orders, inventories and manages supplies and other merchandise.
- Acts as the Personal Care Center Manager when the Manager is not present at the location.
30% Training and Quality Control
- Assists in training policies, procedures and standards for multiple roles.
- Executes and participates in various training activities.
- Ensures PCC staff maintains compliance with company compliance coursework.
- Maintains a safe working environment by training the staff to ensure compliance with the operating procedures of corporate, federal, state and local regulations, including OSHA regulations and Safety and Environmental guidelines.
- Ensures cases are managed in daily operations properly (location specific).
20% Preparation Room Maintenance
- Assists with maintenance of preparation room and the facility.
- Communicates equipment, supply or other inventory needs to Manager.
- Cleans soiled equipment and hazardous material spills.
- Ensures hazardous materials and spills are handled in accordance with the Material Data Safety Sheets.
Core / Critical Competencies
Build Trust With Others
- Operates with integrity - Demonstrates honesty; keeps commitments; behaves in a consistent manner.
- Discloses own positions - Shares thoughts, feelings, and rationale so that others understand personal positions.
- Remains open to ideas - Listens to others and objectively considers others’ ideas and opinions, even when they conflict with one’s own.
- Supports others - Treats people with dignity, respect, and fairness; gives proper credit to others; stands up for deserving others and their ideas even in the face of resistance or challenge.
- Organizes the communication - Clarifies purpose and importance; stresses major points; follows a logical sequence.
- Maintains audience’s attention - Keeps the audience engaged through use of techniques such as analogies, illustrations, humor, an appealing style, body language, and voice inflection.
- Adjusts to the audience - Frames message in line with audience experience, background, and expectations; uses terms, examples, and analogies that are meaningful to the audience.
- Ensures understanding - Seeks input from audience; checks understanding; presents message in different ways to enhance understanding.
- Adheres to accepted conventions - Uses syntax, pace, volume, diction, and mechanics appropriate to the media being used.
- Comprehends communication from others - Attends to messages from others; correctly interprets messages and responds appropriately.
Contribute to Team Success
- Facilitates goal accomplishment - Makes procedural or process suggestions for achieving team goals or performing team functions; provides necessary resources or helps to remove obstacles to help the team accomplish its goals.
- Involves others - Listens to and fully involves others in team decisions and actions; values and uses individual differences and talents.
- Informs others on team - Shares important or relevant information with the team.
- Models commitment - Adheres to the team’s expectations and guidelines; fulfills team responsibilities; demonstrates personal commitment to the team.
Drive for Results
- Prioritizes - Identifies more critical and less critical activities / tasks; adjusts priorities when appropriate.
- Makes preparations - Ensures that required equipment and/or materials are in appropriate locations so that own and others’ work can be done effectively.
- Schedules - Effectively allocates own time to complete work; coordinates own and others’ schedules to avoid conflicts.
- Leverages resources - Takes advantage of available resources (individuals, processes, departments, and tools) to complete work efficiently.
- Stays focused - Uses time effectively and prevents irrelevant issues or distractions from interfering with work completion.
Focus on the Customer
- Uses Key Principles - Establishes good relationships by helping people feel valued, appreciated, and included in discussions (enhances self-esteem, empathizes, involves, discloses, supports).
- Acknowledges the person - Greets customers promptly and courteously; gives customers full attention.
- Clarifies the current situation - Asks questions to determine needs; listens carefully; provides appropriate information; summarizes to check understanding.
- Meets or exceeds needs - Acts promptly in routine situations; agrees on clear course of action in nonroutine situations; exceeds expectations without making unreasonable commitments.
- Confirms satisfaction - Asks questions to check for satisfaction; commits to follow-through, if appropriate; thanks customer.
- Takes the HEAT - Handles upset customers by hearing them out, empathizing, apologizing, and taking personal responsibility for resolving customer problems/issues.
Make Sound Decisions
- Identifies issues, problems, and opportunities - Recognizes issues, problems, or opportunities and determines whether action is needed.
- Gathers information - Identifies the need for and collects information to better understand issues, problems, and opportunities.
- Interprets information - Integrates information from a variety of sources; detects trends, associations, and cause-effect relationships.
Understand the Business
- Understands technical terminology and developments.
- Knows how to apply a technical skill or procedure.
- Knows when to apply a technical skill or procedure.
- Performs complex tasks in area of expertise.
SCI is certified as a Great Place to Work® by the Great Place to Work Institute. In a recent survey, our associates said that their work has special meaning and is not “just a job”. We currently have a full time opening for a Funeral Director/Embalmer at Reyers North Valley Chapel in Grand Rapids, MI. This is the opportunity to be part of the Dignity Memorial® provider network and grow your career in the funeral, cremation and cemetery services business. For us, there is no greater responsibility than celebrating each life like no other and making a difference in the lives of people we serve.
Provides customer service in all areas of funeral arrangements, cremation ceremonies and internment to assist families achieve peace following the loss of a loved one. Provides exemplary personalized and professional service. Implements choices made by the families or legal representative regarding the funeral, final disposition of the body and memorialization of the individual. Interacts with the family to fulfill death care needs. Ensures customer needs are addressed.
- Arranges and conducts funeral and memorial ceremonies in a professional, organized and caring manner consistent with company policies and procedures
- Negotiates and enters into funeral contracts
- Handles contracts, legal documents, and collection of payment in accordance with company policies.
- Ensures client families are informed of special recognition/services available for veterans and ensures the delivery of selected recognition/services.
- Arranges for the interment or cremation of human remains
- Adheres to all company and regulatory requirements
- Retains heritage and grows market share through active involvement with community, religious and other organizations
- Performs on-call responsibilities including:
- Taking first calls
- Talking with families
- Answering questions
- Providing initial details
- Conducting transfers
- Confirms authorization to proceed with the service arrangements
- Supervises and cares for the deceased in a respectful manner while performing a variety of tasks which include:
- Embalming, including verifying identification of the deceased and obtaining authorization for embalming
- Dressing, styling hair and/or applying cosmetics.
- Preparing cremated remains, including container selection, paperwork and identification procedures
- Any other preparation required for human remains
- Supervises funeral services by:
- Supervising the parking of cars
- Driving funeral vehicles
- Assisting at chapel and church services
- Assisting at the cemetery
- Delivering flowers, caskets, urn, photos and other personal keepsakes or mementos of client families
- Setting up chairs and the removing, properly caring for and storing of these items
- Participating at special functions
- Other duties, as required
- Ensures adherence to all applicable professional, municipal, provincial/state and federal licensing authority, regulations and rules
- Provides aftercare in absence of Family Service Counselor. Aftercare includes delivery of:
- Information on insurance, health benefits and pension
- Pre-arrangements for next of kin
- Ensures potential pre-need referrals are shared with Family Service Counselors
- Completes and accurately prepares of all documents related to services, cremations, maintenance, and any other type of data entry; prepares reports as necessary
- May assist with general office duties
- May assist with the maintenance of vehicles, the facility and property
- Receives caskets and other funeral home supplies as well as places into inventory
- Ensures refreshments are available (where allowed by law)
- Performs other duties as assigned